News & Writing
Here you’ll find news about events at Holy Cross, our magazine, sermons and occasional newsletters. There’s also a calendar and links to our social media.
Keep in Touch with Holy Cross
We have an email list – those on it receive our magazine in electronic form and occasional updates and new items. To be added to the list, contact the Rector at firstname.lastname@example.org and send him a completed contact data form:
During the periods of lockdown in the coronavirus pandemic we started producing worship videos and posting them on our YouTube channel. They can be viewed here. We hope to continue to post the occasional video on our channel.
Our main social media presence is our Facebook page HolyCrossEdinburgh. This is where we post news, details of upcoming events and photos from past events. Check it out and please like our page.
The Amalarius Blog
Our Rector has a Blog entitled Amalarius in which he shares his thoughts on liturgy, history and religion. These are his own views and do not necessarily represent the position of Holy Cross or the Scottish Episcopal Church. Here are some posts:
- This is an article commissioned by the Scottish Episcopal Institute Journal and published in the Journal’s Spring 2022 issue. The journal is an academic periodical not a publicity sheet so it wanted a rigorous and critical reading of the St […]
- While preparing our new website for Holy Cross, Davidson’s Mains, it became clear that it had three main functions. One was to provide easily accessible up-to-date information about us and what we are doing, for example if you were visting […]
- I am working with the designers at AltTen Interactive to produce a new website for my church. It has been an interesting experience. Holy Cross had a decent site but it was looking dated and the lockdowns persuaded us that […]
- Freedom in Christ : a sermon for Pentecost 3 2022+ ‘For freedom Christ has set us free’ This is the text from Galatians on the Holy Cross ‘welcome statement’ which Vestry has adopted and is on the back of your pew sheet. Paul is speaking to the Christians in Galatia, in modern Turkey, and saying what Christianity is all […]
- Holy Cross magazine, June 2022Read or download the latest Holy Cross Church monthly magazine.
- Jesus as Holy Wisdom: Sermon for Trinity Sunday Year C+ ‘How shall I sing that majesty, which angels do admire’ These opening words of John Mason’s poem and hymn which we will sing at the end are appropriate for Trinity Sunday. How can you talk about God, who is beyond all understanding; and how can you talk about a […]