News & Writing
Here you’ll find news about events at Holy Cross, our magazine, sermons and occasional newsletters. There’s also a calendar and links to our social media.
Keep in Touch with Holy Cross
We have an email list – those on it receive our magazine in electronic form and occasional updates and new items. To be added to the list, contact the Rector at [email protected] and send him a completed contact data form:
During the periods of lockdown in the coronavirus pandemic we started producing worship videos and posting them on our YouTube channel. They can be viewed here. We hope to continue to post the occasional video on our channel.
Our main social media presence is our Facebook page HolyCrossEdinburgh. This is where we post news, details of upcoming events and photos from past events. Check it out and please like our page.
The Amalarius Blog
Our Rector has a Blog entitled Amalarius in which he shares his thoughts on liturgy, history and religion. These are his own views and do not necessarily represent the position of Holy Cross or the Scottish Episcopal Church. Here are some posts:
- The following extract is from The Islesmen of Bride (1922), a semi-autobiographical novel about an unnamed island in the Hebrides by the remarkable Episcopalian, pioneer photographer, and traveller in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson (1876-1958). […]
- I have recently returned from a six-day road trip to Ukraine, delivering SUVs to the Ukrainian Army in a convoy with the excellent Scottish charity Jeeps for Peace (J4P). It feels like a month of experience crammed into a few […]
- For the last post in this series on St Baldred of the Bass I want to bring together all the historical material from the previous posts and ask who he really is. More precisely, what is his spirituality and how […]
- Holy Cross Magazine, September 2023Read or download the latest issue of our monthly magazine. If you would like to join the Holy Cross email list, please send your address to the Rector: rector.h[email protected] Printed copies of the magazine are also available.
- A sermon for the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary 2023+ ‘From now on all generations will call me blessed’, sings Mary. But why, Mary’s just a simple girl from Galilee? One reason is that men have it easy, at least when it comes to having babies. The male part of making a baby is quite short but the female … Read more
- Be like children, don’t scowl at them: a sermon for Pentecost 6+ ‘I thank you Father, for you have hidden these things and revealed them to infants’ Today’s readings are full of children. The children sitting in the market place playing the flute, God revealing his truth to infants not wise grown-ups, Jesus being the Son who receives everything from his … Read more